The nominations for the 78th Golden Globe Awards have been announced with Pixar’s Onward and Soul receiving high honors with a nomination for Best Motion Picture — Animated. In addition, Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, and Jon Batiste were honored with a nomination for Best Original Score for Soul. The award ceremony will be held on February 28, 2021 at 8 PM/EST on NBC.
The history behind the Golden Globes category for Best Animated Feature Film began in the 2006/2007 award season (64th Annual Golden Globes) with Pixar Animation Studios claiming the coveted award each nominated year until the 2011/2012 award season when The Adventures of Tintin was awarded over Cars 2. During the 71st Annual Golden Globes, Pixar’s Monsters University was the studio’s first film that had been omitted from the Best Animated Feature Film category with the three nominations going to The Croods, Frozen, and Despicable Me 2. See below for a complete Golden Globe history of the Best Animated Feature Film category winners.
- 2006 – Cars
- 2007 – Ratatouille
- 2008 – Wall•E
- 2009 – Up
- 2010 – Toy Story 3
- 2011 – The Adventures of Tintin (Cars 2 received a nomination)
- 2012 – Brave
- 2013 – Frozen (Monsters University was omitted)
- 2014 – How to Train Your Dragon 2 (No Pixar Animation Studios film was released)
- 2015 – Inside Out (The Good Dinosaur was also nominated)
- 2016 – Zootopia (Finding Dory was omitted)
- 2017 – Coco (Cars 3 was omitted)
- 2018 – Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Incredibles 2 received a nomination)
- 2019 – Missing Link (Toy Story 4 received a nomination)
Nominations for 78th Annual Golden Globe Awards
This year’s ceremony will air live on February, 28 at 8 PM/EST on NBC and will be hosted by two Pixar vocal characters Tina Fey (voice of 22, Soul) and Amy Poehler (voice of Joy, Inside Out). Congratulations to both the Onward and Soul teams on this great recognition. Be sure to share your thoughts with other Pixar fans in the Pixar Post Forum and state your prediction for the 78th Annual Golden Globe Awards.