Originally, released exclusively on Disney+ on December 25, 2020, Pixar’s Soul is being reported (via DisneyPlusInformer and spotted by MonstersIncorporated in the Pixar Post Forum) to be released for purchase (digital, 4K, Blu-ray, and DVD) on March 23, 2021.
A March release would be in line with the recent three-month schedule of Pixar releasing physical media for purchase after the initial theatrical release. This is exciting news for fans who were unsure if an “exclusive” on Disney+ would also mean that the film would be released in physical form.
The special features which are included as part of the physical and digitally-purchased version are the five deleted scenes and the audio commentary (at this time)— the remaining featurettes are available to view on Disney+. It is unclear at this time if the deleted scenes and audio commentary will be added to the Disney+ special features after the physical release, so we’ll have to see how that develops.
It was also noted that some special features may vary by retailer and as of now, we are only aware of two exclusive versions — a Target release with included gallery book and Best Buy Steelbook edition.
Introduction – Writer Mike Jones and story supervisor Kristen Lester introduce the “Soul” deleted scenes.
- Mentor Orientation — Joe sneaks into the You Seminar Mentor Program orientation, trying to figure out how on earth he can get back to … Earth.
- Clubhouse Forgery — Joe follows 22 into her “secret lair” as she reluctantly agrees to help him find his way back to Earth.
- Home Lessons — Stuck inside Joe’s body, 22 clumsily attempts to help the downstairs neighbor.
- Living the Dream — Joe has a heart-to-heart with 22 about her fear of living on Earth, then tries to make his way back home via a dream portal.
- Press Shot — Joe, stuck in a cat’s body, and 22, stuck in Joe’s body, take the subway to the jazz club for a publicity photography session.
- Audio Commentary — View the film with audio commentary by director Pete Docter, co-director/writer Kemp Powers and producer Dana Murray.
- Not Your Average Joe — See the thought and care that went into crafting Joe and his story in Pixar’s first film to feature a Black leading character.
- Astral Taffy — Get an in-depth look at the artistry and technical innovation that went into creating the sets and characters in the world of “Soul.”
- Pretty Deep for a Cartoon — The filmmakers tackle big questions, such as where does a newborn’s personality come from, what’s the meaning of life, and more!
- Into the Zone: The Music and Sound of Soul — Explore the movie’s different sonic worlds and discover how music drives and adds specificity to Joe’s journey.
- “Soul,” Improvised — See how the Pixar Systems team and “Soul”’s crew managed to finish the film on schedule during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Jazz Greats — Giants of the jazz world who consulted on “Soul” share their passion and hard-won wisdom about what music is and does for us all.