Moments ago, Pixar released details surrounding a completely revamped vocal cast for The Good Dinosaur, revealing that all but one (of the known) actors will be swapped out in favor of a fresh lineup. We had speculations that a change in the vocal cast was coming when we discussed the inclusion — and following omission — of the vocal cast in the Yahoo! Movies article released on June 2 (as discussed on our Live Hangout following the trailer’s release – starting at 33:17).
Director, Peter Sohn eloquently noted when discussing the change, “We were lucky to work with a number of incredible pros along the way and our story ultimately led us to this amazing and talented group. We’re all taking this journey with Arlo, and its been a privilege to see these performers bring our characters to life.”
The updated vocal cast is comprised of:
- Raymond Ochoa (NBC’s “The Night Shift,” TNT’s “Rizzoli & Isles,” “Disney’s A Christmas Carol”) provides the voice of an Apatosaurus named Arlo. Previously voiced by Lucas Neff.
- Jeffrey Wright (“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay” – parts I & II, HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire”) was tapped as the voice of Poppa, Arlo’s father. Previously voiced by John Lithgow.
- Steve Zahn (“Captain Fantastic,” “Ridiculous Six,” “Rescue Dawn,” “Mad Dogs”) provides the voice of a pterodactyl named Thunderclap.
- A.J. Buckley (TNT’s “Murder in the First,” FX’s “Justified”) voices a T-Rex called Nash.
- Anna Paquin (HBO’s “True Blood”) is the voice of T-Rex Ramsey.
- Sam Elliott (FX’s “Justified,” “I’ll See You In My Dreams,” “Grandma”) was called on as the voice of a tough T-Rex named Butch.
- Frances McDormand (HBO’s “Olive Kitteridge,” “Fargo”) was tapped as the voice of Momma, Arlo’s mother. Frances remained as Arlo’s Mother from the original announcement.
- Marcus Scribner (ABC’s “black•ish”) voices Arlo’s brother Buck.
- Jack Bright (“Monsters University”) provides the voice of Arlo’s unlikely human friend, Spot.
From the original vocal cast announcement at the 2013 D23 Expo, the following actors and characters were also jettisoned in favor of the revamped story.
- Bill Hader – Arlo’s Brother, Forrest
- Neal Patrick Harris – Arlo’s Brother, Cliff
- Judy Greer – Arlo’s Sister, Ivy
Chat about the news of the updated vocal cast – leave a comment below or chat with other Pixar fans in The Good Dinosaur – Pixar Post Forum. Be sure to check out the related post links below for more details on The Good Dinosaur, including the updated teaser trailer, poster, and discussion summaries from John Lasseter at the Cannes Film Festival.