The highly celebrated Disney Infinity franchise announced today that the third rendition of the video game / collectible figure series, Disney Infinity 3.0 will be releasing this fall. As rumored since the 1.0 release in 2013, we have learned that the game will center around the Star Wars franchise – finding three-themed playsets and countless toy boxes created by fans as well as the Disney Infinity team itself. Very excitingly though, although this version will focus on Star Wars, there will be additional play sets geared towards Disney•Pixar as well as Marvel.
Pixar fans were extremely excited that an Inside Out play set has also been announced featuring all five of the emotion characters: Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust. Yes, you’ve read that correctly. Although the game is themed after Star Wars, this version will not hold Disney•Pixar franchises solely to the Toy Box and will feature a structured storyline for characters to explore.
Before we dig into the larger details from the launch, let’s look at some of the highlights.
- Lower price for the 3.0 starter pack – now $64.99 (lowered by $10.00).
- Improved Toy Box functionality including a special farming mode, racing kart mode, takeover mode (more details to come).
- Power Discs will no longer come in blind bags.
- 5 individual play sets have already been announced (3 Star Wars, 1 Marvel and 1 Pixar).
- Three Star Wars Play Sets, one set in the timeline of Episodes I-III, the second set during the original trilogy, Episodes IV-VI, and the third available this winter based on Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™.
- Additional Play Sets offering distinct gameplay and environments, including a Disney•Pixar Play Set based on the upcoming film Inside Out, and a Marvel Play Set featuring Hulkbuster Iron Man, Ultron, and other Marvel characters.
- A fully enhanced Toy Box with two new multiplayer Toy Box Expansion Games, Toy Box Speedway (kart racing) and Toy Box Takeover (action-adventure).
- More figures of fan-favorite characters from across The Walt Disney Company, like Mickey and Minnie, Sam Flynn and Quorra from Tron: Legacy, Mulan and Olaf, among many others.
Each of the Star Wars Play Sets offers distinct experiences, with varied gameplay, environments and characters. The Star Wars™: Twilight of the Republic Play Set takes place in the height of the Jedi’s powers, where players will use the Force™ and Lightsabers™ in epic battles and master their combat skills alongside Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Darth Maul.
The Star Wars™: Rise Against the Empire Play Set will take players on galaxy-spanning missions with Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa, Han Solo, Chewbacca and Darth Vader, piloting X-wing fighters or the Millennium Falcon to fight stormtroopers, or exploring and partaking in land-based missions on planets like Tatooine, Hoth, and Endor. Additionally, fans will have the unique opportunity to play with all of the Star Wars characters in all of the Star Wars Play Sets.
Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition will also introduce an all-new, 3-D Toy Box Hub that will make it easier for players to choose from a wider selection of gameplay experiences – including platform, racing, and farming simulation games. Two new multiplayer Toy Box Expansion Games will bring action-adventure gameplay in Toy Box Takeover and kart racing in Toy Box Speedway, where kids and families can play with popular Disney, Disney•Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars characters together in a structured setting.
The game is being developed by Avalanche Software in partnership with Ninja Theory, Sumo Digital, Studio Gobo and United Front Games, and will be available for the PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U™, PC and iOS and Android devices.
The Starter Pack will include the Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Base and video game software, the Star Wars: Twilight of the Republic Play Set, Ahsoka Tano and Anakin Skywalker character figures, and a web code card that unlocks content for PC and mobile devices. All other 3.0 characters will be sold separately, but keep in mind that all figures and Power Discs from the 1.0 and 2.0 editions of Disney Infinity will be compatible with Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition in the enhanced Toy Box and, for the first time, Power Discs will be sold in labeled franchise-specific packs of four.
Of course additional Disney, Disney•Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars figures and Play Sets will be announced in the coming months so stay tuned.
Are you excited about the release – have any questions for the Disney Interactive team? Join them for a live Q&A with VP of Production, John Vignocchi and Community Manager, Allison Petrek on May 8, 2015, at 11:00 AM PST.