By now we know that each Pixar release will faithfully feature an animated short prior to the start of the feature – and in the spirit of those short films, Pixar has announced Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 2 – due out November 13, 2012.
On November 6, 2007, Pixar released the first version of the Pixar Short Films (Volume 1) and it included the following releases:
- The Adventures of André and Wally B. (December 18, 1984)
- Luxo Jr. (August 17, 1986) – Released with Toy Story 2
- Red’s Dream (November 30, 1987)
- Tin Toy (December 30, 1988)
- Knick Knack (re-rendered version) (January 3, 1989) – Released with Finding Nemo
- Geri’s Game (April 2, 1997) – Released with A Bugs Life
- For the Birds (May 1, 2000) – Released with Monsters, Inc.
- Mike’s New Car (November 4, 2002)
- Boundin’ (May 7, 2003) – Released with The Incredibles
- Jack-Jack Attack (March 15, 2005)
- One Man Band (May 5, 2005) – Released with Cars
- Mater and the Ghostlight (October 31, 2006)
- Lifted (December 21, 2006) – Released with Ratatouille
In addition to the short films, the DVD also included bonus features – Pixar Short: Short History (click the link to read our review) is a 20-minute feature that highlights a brief history of how Pixar used the short films to help them guide their path.
Since the previous version was released in 2007, that can lead us to believe that the following shorts will be included in the DVD/Blu Ray release:
UPDATED October 15, 2012 – For the official list of shorts that will be included in the release, read our updated post here. The list below was our original predictions.
- Your Friend the Rat (November 6, 2007)
- Presto (June 27, 2008) – Released with WALL-E
- BURN-E (November 18, 2008)
- Partly Cloudy (May 29, 2009) – Released with Up
- Dug’s Special Mission (November 10, 2009)
- Day & Night (June 18, 2010) – Released with Toy Story 3
- Hawaiian Vacation – Toy Story Toons (June 24, 2011)
- Small Fry – Toy Story Toons (November 23, 2011)
- La Luna (June 22, 2012) – Released with Brave
- Partysaurus Rex (September 14, 2012)
- Many, many bonus features to be announced
The list above is what we believe will be the set of shorts included on the Blu Ray/DVD (since the list has not been officially announced yet). We’re also speculating that The Legend of Mor’Du will not make it onto the disc…why? Because when Volume 1 was released, it came out the exact same day as Ratatouille and it didn’t include Your Friend the Rat. Since Volume 2 will be released the same day as Brave, we think this Blu-ray will follow suit and not include The Legend of Mor’Du which will be on the Brave release.
For Pixar fans, this release will not disappoint – click the link below to pre-order Volume 2 (link with no photo shown at this point), or to order Volume 1 as well.