The celebration and well-deserved praise towards Pixar’s Coco continued today as the city of Los Angeles (as represented by City Councilmember, Gil Cedillo) announced that they will declare February 27, 2018, as “Coco Day in L.A.” — the same day that the film releases on 4K/Blu-ray/DVD (pre-order and bonus features listed here).
Coco is nominated for two Academy Awards – Best Animated Feature Film and Best Original Song “Remember Me,” and also won the 2018 Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Motion Picture. The film topped the domestic Thanksgiving holiday weekend box office, became the highest-grossing film of all time in Mexico, broke records in China, and has earned widespread praise, receiving 97 percent from critics and 95 percent from audiences on Rotten Tomatoes. Additional details about the celebration, who will be in attendance, and more are below.
WHAT: “‘Coco’ Day in L.A.” Press Conference and Council Presentation
WHO WILL BE IN ATTENDANCE:
- Councilmember Gil Cedillo, First District
- Lee Unkrich, Director
- Darla K. Anderson, Producer
- Anthony Gonzalez, Voice of Miguel
- Renee Victor, Voice of Abuelita
- Alfonso Arau, Voice of Papa Julio
- Natalia Cordova Buckley, Voice of Frida Khalo
- Selene Luna, Voice of Tia Rosita
- Lombardo Boyar, Voice of Mariachi/Gustavo
- Blanca Araceli, Voice of Emcee
- Mariachi Divas performing “Un Poco Loco” and “Remember Me”
WHEN: Tuesday, February 27, 2018
- 9:00 AM Press Conference at Forecourt
- 10:00 AM Council Presentation in Council Chambers
WHERE: City Hall, 200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
FREE SCREENING: There will also be a free screening and carnival festival on March 3 at the L.A. Red Shield Community Center for those in the area — additional details can be found on Gil’s Facebook page.
We are thrilled that Coco will be honored in such a wonderful way. If you are planning on attending this incredible event, please share your experience with us in the comments below or in the Pixar Post Forum.