Award season is upon us and the bid for Oscar contention is already in full swing with the list of eligible Animated Short Films being narrowed down from 63 to 10.
Voted by members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the remaining 10 films will be voted upon once again with the top 5 landing official Oscar nominations (announced on Tuesday, January 23, 2018). Included in the list is Pixar’s, Lou, which was released alongside Cars 3.
In past Academy Award ceremonies, Pixar has had 13 Animated Short Film nominations and 4 wins (Tin Toy, Geri’s Game, For The Birds, and Piper).
The complete list of 10 Animated Short Film List:
1. “Lou,” Dave Mullins, director, and Dana Murray, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
2. “Cradle,” Devon Manney, director (University of Southern California)
3. “Dear Basketball,” Glen Keane, director, and Kobe Bryant, writer (Glen Keane Productions)
4. “Fox and the Whale,” Robin Joseph, director (Robin Joseph)
5. “Garden Party,” Victor Caire and Gabriel Grapperon, directors (MOPA)
6. “In a Heartbeat,” Esteban Bravo and Beth David, directors (Ringling College of Art and Design)
7. “Life Smartphone,” Chenglin Xie, director (China Central Academy of Fine Arts)
8. “Lost Property Office,” Daniel Agdag, director, and Liz Kearney, producer (8th in Line)
9. “Negative Space,” Max Porter and Ru Kuwahata, directors (Ikki Films)
10. “Revolting Rhymes,” Jakob Schuh and Jan Lachauer, directors (Magic Light Pictures)
Congratulations to the entire Lou team, we can’t wait to see what award season has in store for you. Be sure to share your thoughts on Lou with other Pixar fans in the Pixar Post Forum.
The 90th Academy Awards will take place on Sunday, March 4, 2018.