Award season is upon us and the bid for Oscar contention is already in full swing with the list of eligible Animated Short Films being narrowed down from 60 to 10. Voted by members of the Short Films and Feature Animation Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the remaining 10 films will be voted upon once again with the top 5 landing official Oscar nominations (announced on January 14, 2016). Included in the list is Pixar’s, Sanjay’s Super Team releasing in theaters on November 25, alongside The Good Dinosaur.
In past Academy Award ceremonies, Pixar has had 11 Animated Short Film nominations and 3 wins (Tin Toy, Geri’s Game, and For The Birds).
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- “Bear Story (Historia De Un Oso),” Gabriel Osorio, director, and Pato Escala, producer (Punkrobot Animation Studio)
- “Carface (Autos Portraits),” Claude Cloutier, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- “If I Was God…,” Cordell Barker, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- “Love in the Time of March Madness,” Melissa Johnson and Robertino Zambrano, directors (High Hip Productions and KAPWA Studioworks)
- “My Home,” Phuong Mai Nguyen, director (Papy3D Productions)
- “An Object at Rest,” Seth Boyden, director (California Institute of the Arts)
- “Prologue,” Richard Williams, director, and Imogen Sutton, producer (Animation Masterclass)
- “Sanjay’s Super Team,” Sanjay Patel, director, and Nicole Grindle, producer (Pixar Animation Studios)
- “We Can’t Live without Cosmos,” Konstantin Bronzit, director (Melnitsa Animation Studio)
- “World of Tomorrow,” Don Hertzfeldt, director (Bitter Films)
Thanks to forum user ReptilePatrol on the Pixar Post Forum for posting about the news.