The 2014/2015 awards season is right around the corner and though Pixar did not release a feature film this year, their newest short, LAVA, has qualified to advance in the “For Your Consideration” (FYC) runnings. Labeling a film as FYC is a promotional tool for film studios to notify voting members of the media that this particular film is in contention for the upcoming awards honors. Join us in congratulating the crew of LAVA as they take this first step towards awards season.
The official Disney FYC site features the bios of Writer/Director, James Ford Murphy, and Producer, Andrea Warren and will be updated over time to include additional “Media”, “Press” and “Acclaim” information. LAVA has been winning over crowds on the film festival circuit and although its theatrical debut isn’t set until June 19, 2015, alongside Inside Out, we’re excited to learn more details of the seven-minute-and-nine-second musical short film. Stay tuned.
UPDATED – November 5, 2014
According to Indie Wire/Animation Scoop (Updated – Link removed since it is no longer active), The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced the 10 animated short films (listed below) that will advance to the voting process for the 87th Academy Awards and unfortunately, LAVA was not among the list of films. While Pixar may be out of the Oscar race, LAVA could still be considered at the Annie Awards and Visual Effects Society Awards (VES).
We also wanted to congratulate former Pixarians Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi on their advancement onto the Academy Award animated short film list for The Dam Keeper. The duo recently left Pixar to continue to promote their film, The Dam Keeper on the film festival circuit as well as startup their own studio, Tonko House.
- The Dam Keeper Robert Kondo and Dice Tsutsumi, directors (Tonko House)
- Duet Glen Keane, director (Glen Keane Productions & ATAP)
- Feast Patrick Osborne, director, and Kristina Reed, producer (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- The Bigger Picture Daisy Jacobs, director, and Christopher Hees, producer
- Coda Alan Hollydirector
- Footprints Bill Plympton, director
- Me and My Moulton Torill Kove, director
- The Numberlys William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg, directors
- A Single Life Joris Oprins, director
- Symphony No. 42 Réka Bucsi, director