After the very successful launch of Disney Infinity last year, there was no doubt that a second version of the game would be in the works. Today, during the Disney Infinity 2.0 press event, we got a look at the next version of the ever-popular game, along with a few of the upcoming figures and playsets. Although today’s event focused on the Marvel Super Heroes (releasing fall of 2014), Disney•Pixar have no reason to worry as additional Disney and Pixar figures will be coming out after the initial launch. In fact, you can even spot a few familiar faces hidden in the Marvel launch trailer – Merida from Brave, Stitch and Maleficent all make appearances.
Along with any new release typically comes new and improved features and Disney Infinity 2.0 did not disappoint. (It should also be noted that Disney Infinity 2.0 is fully compatible with all of the Disney Infinity 1.0 characters, toy boxes, base and power discs.)
- Skill Tree – Characters will vary more in their abilities and strengths. As you “level up” a character’s experience you gain points which you can assign to different attributes to the figure (for example, if you were using Captain America, as you go from a level 1 to level 2 in experience you get 1 point to assign to his speed, strength, super jump or shields).
- Enhanced Toy Box – The all new toy box mode will make it easier for everyone to create and share their creations. You can also use the new Creator Tool to quickly assist with the build of new worlds. You’ll also be able to customize the interior of buildings in this release as well – whereas previously you could only customize building exteriors.
- Toy Box Game Discs – A new set of pyramid shaped discs deliver structured, franchise-themed games to the toy box.
- Additional Character Enhancements – Character levels used to max out at level 15, new characters in Infinity 2.0 will have a maximum level of 20.
- 80 New Power Discs – The new circular power discs will be grouped into three areas: costume changes, area of effect discs and team-ups (where you get the assistance of a second automated character). Hexagonal discs will add new weapons, vehicles and of course, sky and ground textures.
FIRST SAMPLE OF POWER DISCS
MARVEL TEAM-UPS AND COSTUMES
- Sentinel of Liberty – Captain America’s World War II costume and original shield.
- Stark Arc Reactor – Iron Man’s black and white special edition Guardians of the Galaxy armor with added boom!
- Gamma Rays – Hulk’s original grey costume with added smash!
- Marvel Team Up: Winter Soldier – Team up with the Winter Soldier and catch your enemies in the crossfire.
- Marvel Team Up: Iron Patriot – Iron Patriot reporting for duty.
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Strike – Send down a missile strike from above.
MARVEL SKIES AND TEXTURES
- Stark Tech – Unlock the Stark Industries theme with upgraded Hologram Readout Tech ability.
- View from the Suit – Get a view from inside Iron Man’s suit.
- World War Hulk – Landscape looks like Hulk went on a smashing rampage.
- World War Hulk Sky – Turns the blue skies green in honor of Hulk.
- Falcon’s Wings
- The Avenjet
- Hydra Motorcycle – sidecar included
- Lola – Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hover car
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Containment Truck – Contain enemies
WHAT WILL BE INCLUDED
The Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) starter pack includes:
- Game Disc
- Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow game figures
- Marvel Avenger’s Play Set piece
- Disney Infinity base (2.0 Edition)
- Two Toy Box game discs
- Web code to play Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow in iOS & PC versions
The game will be available starting in the Fall of 2014 and will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, iOS.
EVEN MORE DETAILS
As a teaser at the end of the event, it was revealed that even more details would be released at the 2014 E3 Expo (taking place from June 10-12, 2014), so be sure to stay tuned for more details.
If you’d like to see even more in-game screenshots, character images, and shots from the press event, check out the Pixar Post Forum. Leave a comment below or comment on the forum with your thoughts on the new game announcement – we’d love to hear your thought. Are you as excited as we are that Merida was shown? I sure hope Brave is a full playset so we can traverse the Scottish highlands.